Friday 13 March 2015

Collective identity

Read the Media Magazine article on collective identity: Self-image and the Media (MM41 - page 6). Our Media Magazine archive.

1) Read the article and summarise each section in one sentence, starting with the section 'Who are you?'
  • Who are you: we are all involved in constructing an image to communicate our identity.
  • I think, therefore I am: how we perceived ourselves and how we presented ourselves was based on the social constructs.
  • From citizen to consumer: identity could be constructed in terms of an externalised image.
  • The rise of the individual: dominant values help shape how we see ourselves; and by the late 1960s and 1970s the notion of individualism began to take hold.
  • Branding and lifestyle: branding is the association of a ‘personality’with a product.
  • Who will be we: we have more control over our public image now than ever before.
2) List five brands you are happy to be associated with and explain how they reflect your sense of identity.

New Look: most of my clothes are from this shop which I wear daily.
Vera Wang: Their 'Princess' is my favourite perfume, worn daily.
Samsung: My phone is a Samsung Alpha, which I use on a daily basis.
Skull candy: My headphones are this brand, which I use every day.
Ugg: My favourite boots which I wear to school due to the comfort.

3) Do you agree with the view that modern media is all about 'style over substance'? What does this expression mean?

Postmodern critics see the construction of identity through media representations as being shallow, leading to a culture that values ‘style over substance’. I do agree that this is taking place due to the media e.g. magazines putting so much importance on factors such as beauty over intelligence, which influences audiences and creates role models, especially for young people.

4) Explain Baudrillard's theory of 'media saturation' in one paragraph. You may need to research it online to find out more.

'Media saturation' looks at the fact that high cultural value being placed on external factors such as physical beauty and fashion sense over internal traits such as intelligence or compassion. This has been reinforced through the media. For example, magazines show skinny models and reality TV shows such as Keeping up with the Kardashians create role models for young people and girls in particular. Young people therefore look up to these celebrities and feel that they should look like them or be like them as that is societies 'norm'.

5) Is your presence on social media an accurate reflection of who you are? Have you ever added or removed a picture from a social media site purely because of what it says about the type of person you are?

I do not believe I have ever been such a keen social media user. I do have Instagram, however do not pay attention to Facebook and Twitter. I post pictures that I like and that I feel reflect me or an event that I have enjoyed.

6) What is your opinion on 'data mining'? Are you happy for companies to sell you products based on your social media presence and online search terms? Is this an invasion of privacy?

Data mining allows corporations to create products designed to meet the needs we reveal in our personal information. I do believe that data mining needs to take place to some extent in order for companies to find out what is trending and ways in which they can meet customer demands. However, companies should look at social media overall and not go onto peoples profiles in order to find out information. However, it can be argued that people choose whether they want to make their private or not. If it is not private then it gives an impression that people are happy with anyone to look at their profile, including companies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment